Thursday, August 2, 2007

World Warrior


Being away from my family and friends for more than 2 years now, I have been missing everyone back home.


I've chosen a residence, a more humid domicile, to call home: Bangkok.


The first 6 months was the hardest part for me to endure. Everything for me is intoxicatingly new: food, clubs, and alas, my whole lifestyle has changed.


The luxury of my own car to drive at home, i miss that terribly. The protection of the house that i called home for 22 years has been suddenly taken away from me. The familiar smile and laughter of the people I love suddenly echoing in the four corners of my studio apartment, I haven't felt that alone in my life.



I miss the intimacy of family and friendship, the
undoubted sense of belonging to a group that knows me, accepts me does not judge me. I see myself sitting alone in my bed in front of my laptop, staring
blankly, trying to focus when in my head I see myself enjoying a great conversation with a group of friends sipping latte, never a dull moment.


My world has been turned upside-down, from a boy who has everything served in a silver plate, turned into a man who learned how to use a washer and surprise, surprise, learned how to hand-wash some of my clothes. I used to cringe at the idea of folding my own sheets and fixing my own bed, now, I have even mastered the art of cleaning toilet bowls!


Learning house work is the easiest part of it all, doing it consistently is another thing though. All these years, I have taken for granted the tireless service that our house maids has been doing for us. If doing my own chores already bores me to death, I now wonder how it feels if I have to do it for other people.


Much to the surprise of my family and friends when they visited, they saw the transformation of a partyphile Jerson they used to know to a workaholic, independent world warrior.


The more into the realm of self-discovery I venture, the less I seem to know. In due time, I'll be claiming my space in this world, and I'll be happy to say that it would be sooner than later.


No comments: